Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Sun Has Landed

I'M HERE! After an arduous journey including leaving my house Tuesday at 11am, staying in Queens by myself overnight, and being in JFK airport for 11 hours on Wednesday, I have finally arrived! The plane wasn't as bad as expected, and I just spent the whole time trying to sleep/fantasizing about life in Spain. So far everything is wonderful. It's a little strange trying to fit in with the BU students and few students from other schools. Most of the BU students don't know many people but at least 1 or 2. I'm trying my best, and hoping we will get to know each other even better once classes start and we are together then. Today, we came to our hotel, had lunch, and then went off to buy metro passes and moviles (cell phones). We explored a little bit and I bought a European voltage flat iron (the essentials). I am staying near Puerta del Sol, just one of the many signs that this is the best place for me to be right now. Another sign? The snack with dinner on the plane was nothing else but a piece of Cabot Cheddar cheese from VT, complete with a little outline of the state on the package. I nearly teared up.

I nearly teared up several times on the way over the Atlantic. Once when I realized I was on my own. Another time when I realized I was never really on my own, and a third time when I saw the separation between night and day as we approached the Iberian peninsula from the Portuguese side and I could see dark blue with light blue, a fuzzy cloud line, and then pink-orange-yellow underneath. It felt like I was seeing day and (k)night at the same time, and it was beautiful.

Anyway, we're being "oriented" here and the interns have a meeting starting in 5 minutes... I'm trying to spend my time in Europe on time, instead of late, like I usually am in the U.S. So far, so good.

Hasta pronto.

2 comments:

  1. this made me tear up! i hope you're doing well and acclimating! also, the cheese? awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you and proud of you, and yes, you are never alone. Much love, Sandi

    ReplyDelete