1. I quit my internship at the art gallery. I thought it was going to be really fun, but I wasn't doing much of anything - more than that, I didn't feel really comfortable with the owner of the gallery and most of all, I was hardly speaking Spanish. I was hardly even listening to Spanish because I was by myself for nearly the entire 3 hour period every day. It wasn't what I needed. The internship director is finding me a position in a school, probably teaching English or helping in an office. I'm really excited for it and I think it will work out much better for me. That's what I should have asked for in the first place, but I keep trying to branch out from what I know really works for me/really fits my personality, and I'm not getting the best results - lesson learned: know yourself enough to know where you will be happy.
2. I went to the Prado again. I saw the special temporary Renoir exhibit as well as made it up to this wing that was practically all Goya that we didn't make it to the week before. I really love going to the Prado. I also really love that it's free (BU reimburses us for any "cultural activities" we do!!)
3. I booked my first trip! It's just a short one, this weekend in Salamanca, but I'm so glad that I'm going to be taking the "pilgrimage" to the home away from home for so many SMC Spanish majors/minors/students in general. I'm also excited to be doing some traveling, even though it's just a short ways away.
4. I went to the discoteca! I needed to give myself some time to adjust to Madrid before I delved into this big part of MadrileƱo life, but I finally did it, and I surprised myself by how much fun I had. I explored the 7 floors of the discoteca and had a lot of fun just dancing with my friends. The hired dancers dancing on little platforms made me laugh, and reminded me where I was in the world. I didn't make it until 6am like the madrileƱos, but I did make it until 4am, so we'll see how long I make it next time.
5. I went to an art exhibit of Charo's friend and it was so much fun to sit with all these older Spanish people, talk about Maite (the friend)'s art, their life out in the pueblo where they all met, and just other kind of normal, regular things of life. The art was beautiful, the atmosphere was wonderful and I was so grateful that Charo took me, kept introducing me to all her friends/some family that was there as her "hija" (daughter) and I got so many compliments on my Spanish and so many were really interested in hearing about why I was in Madrid, where I came from, what I wanted to do while I was here, etc. I had a wonderful time.
6. I caught up with a lot of people on skype on Sunday which was nice, including the fam (Courtney + Janel), Patrick (here is your shout out) and Liz who is in Florence! It was nice to see people from home, talking to people who know me, especially older friends, always makes me feel more like myself and that was good.
7. Charo and I discussed Sarah Palin over dinner. That was a laugh.
8. On the home front, I was given an ACA position for next year! I will be living/working in the townhouses, specifically the 400s townhouses which is very exciting because even though I changed my mind and wanted the 300s this past year when I applied, the 400s were originally my goal for senior year! I think this also relates back to what I said about knowing my personality - I'm more suited to things like the 400s and elementary Spanish schools, and I'm starting to learn this about myself.
8. On the home front, I was given an ACA position for next year! I will be living/working in the townhouses, specifically the 400s townhouses which is very exciting because even though I changed my mind and wanted the 300s this past year when I applied, the 400s were originally my goal for senior year! I think this also relates back to what I said about knowing my personality - I'm more suited to things like the 400s and elementary Spanish schools, and I'm starting to learn this about myself.
9. Fernando, Charo's ex-husband that lives with us, and I, still have not really spoken. When she said "he is like a piece of furniture", she was serious.
10. January ended! It's February! How did that happen?! I left Plainville 3 weeks ago today, got to Madrid 3 weeks ago this coming Thursday. Time is flying!
Hasta luego!

No comments:
Post a Comment